SUMIKO SHIMOSAKA (Ms.)
in charge of Trademark, Design and Public Relations.
- Graduated from Chuo University, Faculty of Law
- Passed the State Examination for a Patent Attorney License in 1965.
- Worked at Yuasa and Sakamoto (now Yuasa and Hara) Law and Patent Office as
a patent attorney in charge of Trademarks, Design and Public Relations until 1972.
- Practiced at Nemoto, Kasuya & Shimosaka Law & Patent Office with other
attorneys-at-law from 1973
- Practiced at Shimosaka International Patent Firm (which also traded as
Shimosaka and Associates) from 1976
- Changed to Shimosaka and Matsuda in 1999 as the result of the merger with
Matsuda Patent Office.
- Vice President of the Japanese Patent Attorneys Association in 1988
- Examiner for the State Examination for Patent Attorneys in 1990.
- President of the Permanent Member of the Council in 1995.
- President of the Japanese Patent Attorneys Association in 2004
Other Professional Responsibilities and Awards
- Vice President of the Headquarters of the Asian Patent Attorneys Association
(1960 to 1998) and Executive Director (from 1960~ )
- Executive Director of the Japan Trademark Association (from 1995~ )
- Secretary-General of the Japan Patent Attorneys Club (1999).
- Member of the Committee for the Patent Office’s Social Gatherings which meets
to consider the evolution of the Patent Attorney’s System in the 21st century (from
- A member of the Japanese Government’s Intellectual Property Strategy Council
headed by the prime minister, JUNICHIRO KOIZUMI (2003～2007) (Meetings were
held at the Prime Minister’s Official Residence every two months with the required
attendance of all Cabinet members.)
- Recipient of the ‘Yellow Ribbon Medal’ for Outstanding Service awarded by the
Japanese Government (1994).
- Recipient of the Middle Class ‘Gyokujitsu’ Medal (Order of the Rising Sun) awarded
by the Japanese Government (2008).
in charge of Patent in the Field of Mechanics, Information Technology, and Chemical field
- Graduated from Meiji University, Faculty of Technology in Science and Technology
and then completed a Master of Mechanical Engineering at the Department of
Science and Technology on graduation in 2003.
- Worked at Yokogawa Electric Corporation as a system engineer and a project
manager for three years.
- Passed the State Examination for a Patent Attorney License in 2009.
- Joined Shimosaka and Matsuda in December 2009.
Mr. Uchikoshi comments, “My guiding principle is establishing a relationship of mutual trust with clients. I listen to each client’s ‘heart’ and endeavor to do what I need to do in order to meet their wishes. In addition, I try to serve as a professional in both ‘law + technology’. Control, mechanical structure, production systems technology, and production of chemicals are my fields of expertise. Finally, I am also able to provide assistance on strategic projects for the protection of ideas and know-how, to make suggestions on matters of patents, as well as designs and trademarks, and to give assistance on procedures for obtaining official subsidies”