SUMIKO SHIMOSAKA (Ms.)
in charge of Trademark, Design and Public Relations.
- Graduated from Chuo University, Faculty of Law
- Passed the State Examination for a Patent Attorney License in 1965.
- Worked at Yuasa and Sakamoto (now Yuasa and Hara) Law and Patent Office as
a patent attorney in charge of Trademarks, Design and Public Relations until 1972.
- Practiced at Nemoto, Kasuya & Shimosaka Law & Patent Office with other
attorneys-at-law from 1973
- Practiced at Shimosaka International Patent Firm (which also traded as
Shimosaka and Associates) from 1976
- Changed to Shimosaka and Matsuda in 1999 as the result of the merger with
Matsuda Patent Office.
- Vice President of the Japanese Patent Attorneys Association in 1988
- Examiner for the State Examination for Patent Attorneys in 1990.
- President of the Permanent Member of the Council in 1995.
- President of the Japanese Patent Attorneys Association in 2004
Other Professional Responsibilities and Awards
- Vice President of the Headquarters of the Asian Patent Attorneys Association
(1960 to 1998) and Executive Director (from 1960~ )
- Executive Director of the Japan Trademark Association (from 1995~ )
- Secretary-General of the Japan Patent Attorneys Club (1999).
- Member of the Committee for the Patent Office’s Social Gatherings which meets
to consider the evolution of the Patent Attorney’s System in the 21st century (from
- A member of the Japanese Government’s Intellectual Property Strategy Council
headed by the prime minister, JUNICHIRO KOIZUMI (2003～2007) (Meetings were
held at the Prime Minister’s Official Residence every two months with the required
attendance of all Cabinet members.)
- Recipient of the ‘Yellow Ribbon Medal’ for Outstanding Service awarded by the
Japanese Government (1994).
- Recipient of the Middle Class ‘Gyokujitsu’ Medal (Order of the Rising Sun) awarded
by the Japanese Government (2008).